RE: [Nolug] How to get rid of lilo??

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:02:17 -0600

>He))o!
>
>I've been trying to install a new OS on the machine which used to have
>debian on it. I'm having a great deal of trouble with booting up from CD or
>floppy in order to start new installation.
>
>Every time, even when I have completely disabled harddrive from the bios
>boot up sequence, the system starts loading LILO and attempts to start the
>operating system previously installed. Naturally that would fail also since
>I tried to repartition the drive and did not create any new partitions.
Lilo
>still persists.......
>
>Petri

Use a win98se startup disk to fix your mbr. You can get a copy from
bootdisk.com. Boot to the floppy you just made and run:
fdisk /mbr
That will fix your problem.

Jay

The biggest problem is still to boot from other devices before the
harddrive. As mentioned earlier, even when hd is disabled from boot
sequence, it still kicks in before other bootable media. Perhaps this is a
functionality in LSI SCSI controller. No options in scsi setup for this
either. In the past, it was possible to format drives using controller
utilities but not anymore.

Oh well.... I dump IDE drive to the machine and install there.