Re: [Nolug] XDM - Debian Question

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:12:49 -0600

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 12:16, James Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 00:24, Kevin Kreamer wrote:
> > On Feb 15, 2004, at 23:53, G. Meyers wrote:
> > > I installed Debian 3.0 not too long ago. Changed source from stable
> > > to testing, did an apt-get update and upgrade. Decided to get XFree86
> > > so I did an "apt-get install x-window-system". This installed XDM.
> > > Don't really care too much for XDM and would either like to remove it
> > > or at least install either GDM or KDM in its place.
>
> Though all of the methods here will work I think we should help the "new
> with a concept or 2 here. First XDM, GDM, KDM, are GUI login managers.
> The only conflict between them is you cannot use them all at once. They
> can however co-exist on the system without conflict. To use one or the

One of the "features" of the Debian package manager is that it has
"Conflicts:" and "Replaces:" fields that the package maintainer can
seet. When apt sees these fields, and if any of those packages are
already installed, apt automatically removes them.

I've just noticed, though, that in "Sid" (Debian's unstable branch,
where toys tend to break), [xgk]dm don't conflict with one another.

[snip]

> Ok. I think I got carried away. The point is you do not have to
> "un-install" one to install another.
>

> > You can either do
> > # apt-get remove xdm
> > or
> > # apt-get install kdm
> > (or gdm, if that's what you want)
> >
> > If you go the remove route, it will say that it is removing
> > x-window-system. Go ahead and let it, there's no harm in it doing it
> > -- at this point that package has served its purpose (which is to say
> > what packages to install to get X up and running).

[big snippage]

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect
liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent. Men born
to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in
insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without
understanding."
Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)