Re: [Nolug] Getting Public Key Authentication to work with OpenSSH

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:14:20 -0600

Yuji Yamano <yyamano@kt.rim.or.jp> writes:

>> /home/test/.ssh/authorized_keys is world-readable. I've tried renaming
>> the file to authorized_keys2, but still no dice.
>
> I think the file must not be world-readable. chmod 600.

Since ~/.ssh/authorized_keys is a copy of the public keys, it doesn't
matter who sees it and ssh knows this. Permissions of 644 on this
file work. Anything thing more (e.g. group-writable) won't, though.

Mark.

--
Peace is only better than war if peace isn't hell, too.
    -- Walker Percy, "The Second Coming"