[Nolug] Major kernel version, or "extracting substring from a symbol"

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:09:24 -0600

Hi,

We all know that "uname -r" gives the exact kernel version. How
do I extract out the "2.4"?

The reason I ask is that there are certain steps in my PC's boot
process that I only want to run if I'm booting into 2.4 (and I'm
sure there will also be some if I'm booting into 2.6).

Thanks

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
"I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give
up any hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist
forming one on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be
opposed to it."
Charles Darwin (1809-1882)