Re: [Nolug] camera card reader

From: Manuel Lora <vanguardist_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:54:03 -0600

i kinda know.

hotplug can handle PCI and USB devices also and is very configurable
via /sbin/hotplug and /etc/hotplug[.d]/f00, where you see unit IDs that are
read when a device is plugged in. Then there are map files that contain
instructions on what to do when the device is plugged in:

hotplug can be used for a scanner for example, that uses libusb, so when you
plug in the scanner, the modules (if necessary) are loaded, permissions are
changed to the user who's logged in when plugged in. furthermore, it can,
optionally, run a specific program. I had my hotplug setup for a while so
when I plugged in a scanner, it would launch xsane. similarly, I also had my
digital camera configured in hotplug so that when I ran it, it would popup
gtkcam (when running under X), or sometimes even run gphoto and download the
pictures automatically.

so hotplug is a generic and device-agnostic tool and not just for cardbus
adaptors, and could probably be also used in a similar way for PCI devices,
but I've yet to test.

ml