Re: [Nolug] Dynamic Text

From: scotth_at_scottharney.com
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:40:32 -0600

"Jeff Lee" <jeffreydavidlee@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to make a website using dynamic text components from a file. I
> do not know where to start and do not think my server even has this
> installed. I got XML working but I dont think it can do what I want. I want
> something like what is below:

> This is a dynamic name: %%name%%
> This is a dynamic product: %%product%%
>
> .. some other file
>
> %%name%% = Jeff
> %%product%% = oranges

You need to use the php language, mod_perl, java Server pages, or even
cgi. Fancy templating systems are available for these languages to do
the kind of substition you want. Your instance or apache will need to
have support for these products. It should have cgi by default.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I got XML working" . What you need is
for your webserver to process dynamic input in some way. all of the
above items represent a "processing engine" of sorts for dynamic
content. The page is processed, for example, by a php interpreter
before being output to the requester as HTML. XSLT is an XML-based
stylesheet language but it requires something that hooks into the
webserver to process it. All of the aforementioned languages can do
that.

php is pretty easy to learn. Here's a mockup of what you're doing

file.php:
<? php include ("/path/to/includes.inc");
This is a dynamic name: <?php echo "$name" ; ?>
This is a dynamic product: <?php echo "$product" ; ?>

includes.inc:
<?php
 $name = "Jeff";
 $product = "oranges";
?>

php's website has good docs and there are many books available as
well. www.php.net is the site. Your distro may offer a download
of it that will work with your copy of apache. perhaps it has
it now. put a file that looks like this in your web doc root
called "phptest.php"
           hello
         <?php
                phpinfo();
         ?>

Point your webbrowser at it. If it's working, you'll see a page full
of information about your php install.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."