Re: [Nolug] php scripts virtual hosts

From: James Scott <jhs_technical_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 11:11:32 -0600

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 21:53, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 18:29, Joey Kelly wrote:
> >> <snip>

> >> At least part of that really looks like a permissions problem. What user
> >> is
> >> apache running under, and what user owns those files?
> >>
> >> I normally work out of my home directory, and tell apache to point any
> >> virtual
> >> hosts I have at some directory in /$user/public_html/
> > Maybe this is it. I assumed apache would be running as apache and chown
> > the files and directories apache. I just looked and one was root. I
> > changed it to apache still doesn't work. I can't think no more. What
> > should they be?
> > The home directory thing would be cool but I opted for the virtual
> > hosts. By the documentation it actually seemed just as easy. All you
> > do is add couple of lines to the hosts file and set virtual container at
> > the end of httpd.conf. Yeah sure.
> >
> > ___________________
>
> The errors you are seeing in the logs, I've seen them in the cases where I
> had incorrectly configured path to the website in my httpd.conf file OR
> when I did not have all the correct index files listed in httpd.conf
This is exactly what I think the problem is.
> Could you post the virtual host lines (container) from your httpd.conf and
> equivalent directory structure of the site location on the server?
The path:/var/www/example1/html
Path 2: /var/www/example2/html
20040308 I added the following in the virtual hosts section of
httpd.conf which is at the end of the file.

This is supposed to be the right way to configure for a dhcp machine.
I think I have missed an important concept somewhere.
I setup the server names in the hosts file. These are not real sites
I am setting up dummies for testing and to learn php and mysql.
corresponding manual page:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/examples.html#serverpath
The section heading:
"Running several name-based web sites on a single IP address."
excerpt from file:
# Listen for virtual host requests on all IP addresses
NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /var/www/example1
ServerName www.example1.com

# Other directives here
# the following were spec'd in php.conf tried to be explicit here
# because php was not showing up
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
DirectoryIndex index.php
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /var/www/example2
ServerName www.example2.org

# Other directives here
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
DirectoryIndex index.php
</VirtualHost>
This gives me some flak on startup of httpd but still I get the
default fedora page when I point the browser to www.example1.com
and example2.org. I am actually using these names. What the hell.
> Are you using IP based or name based virtual hosting?
Name based.
> Is the machine you are hosting behind the firewall?
Is internal only.
> btw. With apache 2.x I started using separate .conf file for virtual
> hosts. At the bottom of the actual httpd.conf, I'm just 'including' it.
Found this part.

The new error message on httpd start up. Like I said it still seems to
work and I copied this config section right off the manual page.
Gotta read some more I think.

"Starting httpd: [Tue Mar 09 10:45:02 2004] [error] VirtualHost
_default_:443 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost
address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results"