[Nolug] help with long email threads

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:07:14 -0600

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 13:35, Pietu spake:
> Yes,
>
> It seems to be much more clear to have replies just on top of the message.
> (Like this) Who's idea was it anyway to put replies at the bottom of the
> message?

Top-posting (what you're suggesting) is evil.

The right way to do it is to trim the other guy's text. Only leave text that
is directly relevant to what you're trying to say. Notice the <snip> at the
bottom of this email? That's one way to trim your replies. Someone on the
list uses the term <cut>, which is acceptable.

> However, in some cases replies for multiple questions in one message are
> more clear to put "in-line", yet it becomes a mess after too many round
> trips.

You can intersperse your comments like this, after you've trimmed the extra
stuff away.

> How about setting up a forum?
> I suggest phpBB2, nice and easy, FREE!!

We had that, and practically no one used it. Everyone uses this list, so let's
keep it that way.

> Petri

<snip>

This is called bottom-posting, and it's really the best way to reply to
someone else's email... after you've trimmed it, if you're replying to a long
post.

For more tips on netiquette, please see the last few bullets on this page:
http://nolug.org/nolugwiki/index.cgi?LinuxSupportPresentation

Hope this helps :-)

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL