[Nolug] Vector linux packages

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:44:42 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Dave Prentice">
> VecSOHO-3.2 did a full install in 1.9gig of drive space -- just
> under the wire. It works fine with 96meg on a P1-166. (Thanks again
> Paul!) I've been trying to clean it up by deleting unnecessary
> packages, but most of them have only a name but no description in the
> package manager. I'm scared to touch the ones I don't recognize.
> The install came with OpenOffice 1.0, so I want to upgrade to the
> latest version. There's no package or RPM listed for OpenOffice,
> though. Can somebody please tell me how to remove it cleanly so I can
> start the later version, which is a tar.gz file?

Wow, no swap space, eh?

To check packages in slack (and slack-like distros, presumably) check in
/var/adm/packages/. This will give you the exact name/version/build that
is installed. And it's always best to remove, then install the new one.
Descriptions are in there too, in .txt files.

I believe once you open the OOo tarball, there's an install script (sh)
and a huge .bin file that it works with. I've never uninstalled it, so I
don't know if there's an uninstall script, or if the installer is
intelligent enough to deal with the old version.

Generally, I install the minimum I need/want, then add as i go. My
picturebook install was around 800MB.

If you want to compile stuff on a faster machine and make packages for
your slower ones, look up checkinstall. I don't recall if it's on
freshmeat or not, but it'll make tgz/deb/rpm packages for you. Just make
sure your gcc's match.

--
Alex McKenzie    alex@boxchain.com     http://boxchain.com