[Nolug] Vector Linux (slackware) losing network config

From: Dave Prentice <prentice_at_instruction.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:43:57 -0600

Alex or anybody familiar with slackware,
    OK, VectorLinux SOHO (slackware) seemed at first to run fine on
this laptop. During installation it asked me what IP address and DNS
server to use, and networking worked fine. However, I must have done
something later when I was deleting unused packages to save drive
space, because now it won't talk to the network. It still boots up OK
and finds all the PCMCIA drivers (it's using a Xircom credit card
ethernet PCMCIA adapter).
If I unplug and replug the card it says
cardmgr[63]: executing; 'modprobe xirc2ps_cs'
cardmgr[63]: executing: 'modprobe serial_cs'
cardmgr[63]: executing:'./network start eth0'

However, the light on the dongle won't come on and it says "network
not available" when I ping anything. I tried vasm and netconfig to
reload all the correct addresses, but it doesn't seem to want to save
them anywhere.
The adapter will finally start up when I tell it
ifconfig eth0 up 10.0.0.102
and then I can ping specific addresses in my house network, but I
can't ping anything outside. Nor can I figure out where to put the DNS
address. Since this uses pcmcia, it's not in /etc/sysconfig/network,
but instead stuff runs from /etc/pcmcia. I tried editing
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts to no avail.
    Any ideas how I might have messed it up, and how to make it get on
the network again?
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com