Re: [Nolug] Cyberspace not always the fastest way to xfer data

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:28:35 -0600

"Petri Laihonen" <pietu@weblizards.net> writes:
> ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:
>> I reminds me of a quote I heard *many* moons ago: "never under-
>> estimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes".

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a 747 filled with DVDs."

> How much time did it take to load up all the flash cards?
> How about downloading the data on the other end?
> Was it included in the equation?

It probably wasn't, but it would be negligible. Load up the flash
card, attach to pigeon, release, repeat.

The network is always the slow part.

FWIW, RFC1149 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt) was first
implemented three years ago: http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.