Re: [Nolug] Cyberspace not always the fastest way to xfer data

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:17:00 -0600

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 21:28, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a 747 filled with DVDs."
>
> DVDs aren't very data-dense. Modern hard disks, though, are
> amazingly dense (17GB/CuIn for the 400GB models. And the cross-
> country travel time is only ~7 hours.

Whatever. Netflix mails DVDs to people's houses and accomplishes
almost the same per-day bandwidth as the entire Internet. 5 Petabytes
of data per-day is the figure I've seen bandied about.

>> > How much time did it take to load up all the flash cards?
>> > How about downloading the data on the other end?
>> > Was it included in the equation?
>>
>> It probably wasn't, but it would be negligible. Load up the flash
>> card, attach to pigeon, release, repeat.
>
> I think he was talking about having to manually insert each flash
> card into a reader, mv the data, and then remove it.

And so was I. The amount of time it takes to load up the data would
be negligible. If it bothers you, then do it in parallel with
several card-readers/writers on both ends.

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.