[Nolug] objections to SPF?

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:25:56 -0600

Y'all,

I'm considering setting up SPF (http://spf.pobox.com, http://www.ietf.org/
internet-drafts/draft-mengwong-spf-00.txt) on my mail server, as a means to
further combat spam and forged virus bounces.

Here's the downside: my server will check SPF records on the mail you send to
it. This might cause problems for you, if your ISP publishes or decides to
publish SPF records for their domain, and you send mail from some other SMTP
server. If this happens, your mail won't be accepted by my server, and your
posts to this list won't make it through.

By the way, if you're running SpamAssassin, the next version of it (2.7, I
believe) will be able to do SPF checks. I don't know if this will be on or
off by default, though.

Thoughts?

BTW, I also run lists for newbies, who aren't going to be able to understand
any of this, nor how to deal with mail that doesn't arrive where they send
it.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL