Re: [Nolug] Logo ideas

From: Simon Dorfman <EmailLists_at_SimonDorfman.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:49:09 -0500

On 4/17/04 3:17 PM, "Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 15:02, Simon Dorfman wrote:
>> Posted PDF so they are still in vector format so other people can edit them
>> further if they desire.
>
> Oh, because programs like GIMP don't understand PDF. It reads
> PS, though, so I guess you can do a pdf2ps, first.

Perhaps EPS and/or SVG formats would be more useful for you guys, here ya
go:
http://www.SimonDorfman.com/misc/Simons_NOLUGlogoIdea1.pdf
http://www.SimonDorfman.com/misc/Simons_NOLUGlogoIdea1.eps
http://www.SimonDorfman.com/misc/Simons_NOLUGlogoIdea1.svg
http://www.SimonDorfman.com/misc/Simons_NOLUGlogoIdea2.pdf
http://www.SimonDorfman.com/misc/Simons_NOLUGlogoIdea2.eps
http://www.SimonDorfman.com/misc/Simons_NOLUGlogoIdea2.svg

>> If one is chosen as the logo, I would export it to
>> a GIF (for file size and browser compatibility reasons), unless y'all get
>> out the "GIF sucks, PNG rules" argument on me. Then I'd futilely argue that
>> GIF has more widespread support, while y'all tell the GIF stories of woe.
>> :) Or something like that.
>
> I won't go into the political aspect, but will say that even IE5.5
> supports PNG, and everything supports JPG. Try exporting to all
> 3 types (GIF, JPG & PNG), and see which is smaller.

For this type of image (high contrast, solid areas of color) GIF or PNG both
beat JPG. Plus JPG doesn't support alpha and it would be good to have alpha
around the image so it could be placed on any color background.

Simon