Re: [Nolug] qmail backup strategy

From: John Hebert <johnahebert_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:01:11 -0700 (PDT)

David,

As long as you duplicate the user's ownership and
permissions, you should be okay just to copy the
directories.

If there aren't a whole bunch of users, you first
archive the email directories:

tar -cvzf (create, verbose, gzip, filename)
email.backup.tar.gz /path/to/email/dirs

then copy/ftp/move the resulting email.backup.tar.gz
to your new email server and unarchive the tarball:

tar -xvzf email.backup.tar.gz

Then, assuming you have already recreated the same
user accounts, you would change the ownership of each
email directory:

chown -R john.users /path/to/email/dirs/john

and possibly you might need to change the permissions:

chmod 600 (rw only by owner) /path/to/email/dirs/john

Hope this helps!

John Hebert
visiting from BRLUG, looking for other OpenBSD users