Re: [Nolug] qmail backup strategy

From: John Hebert <johnahebert_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Mark A. Hershberger" <mah@everybody.org> wrote:
> John Hebert <johnahebert@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > chmod 600 (rw only by owner)
> /path/to/email/dirs/john
>
> If you are using qmail, you are probably using
> maildir format. In
> that case, don't do this as it will make the
> directory un-usable by
> everyone.

Isn't that what you would want?

The best course of action would be to check out the
ownership and permissions on the email directories
(/home/user/Maildir, or where ever) and duplicate
those on the new server. My example was incorrect in
that it probably won't match the original permissions
of the Maildir, but it was an off the cuff example. I
didn't make that clear.

Checking the perms on my /home/john/Maildir, I have
rwx for the owner only, which means that only I (and
root of course) can get into it.

Why would you want everyone to see your Maildir?

John Hebert