Re: [Nolug] Topic Suggestion for the next meeting

From: Randy Flood <stock_investor_guy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:27:26 -0700 (PDT)

Um, er..

I mean, run those commands as root.

uname will work as a regular user.

The rest you will probably want to be root to run.

When it gets to the point where you have to go
manually setting your ip address or telling telling a
service to restart or whatever, or poking around with
cardctl, that is when you have to be root. This is a
good thing, because you wouldn't want just any old
user to be able to mess that stuf up after you spend
all this time fixing it, now would you? ;)

ornico_pci?

OK. The PCI driver is for a PCI card, which implies
that you have got a desktop, and you are using a PCI
card. Is that what you have got? I've never set up a
PCI card before, so that's kind of neat. Ignore the
cardctl thing then. That is for pcmcia or cardbus
based cards (which is what people are more typically
asking about when they ask about wireless problems).

My reccomendation is to get and install the
Linux-wlan-ng drivers, as they are supposed to support
your card. I have had good experieces with these
drivers in the past with other cards.

For a document stating which drivers support which
chipsets of DLLNK cards see:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=357&question=Linux

For the source code to the linux-wlan-ng drivers see:

ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/

But, to make life easy, you can just use the RPMs if
you want from this web site:

http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/v21-fc1-index.html

I am honestly a bit confused by your machine being
both an athlon and an i386. I think that you want the
following RPMs:

Fedora Core 1 Base Package:

http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/fc1/i386/kernel-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre14.i386.rpm

PCI Prism 2 Interface:

http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/fc1/i386/kernel-wlan-ng-pci-0.2.1-pre14.i386.rpm

Fedora Core 1, kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/fc1/i386/kernel-wlan-ng-modules-fc1.1.2115-0.2.1-pre14.i386.rpm

This next bit is shamelesslesly copied from the README
at http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/README

After you install the rpms, do the following:

Modify the /etc/wlan/wlan.conf and
/etc/wlan/wlancfg-"SSID" (replace "SSID" with the
actual SSID of your WAP) files to configure your
wireless card for YOUR specific WAP. The default
blank ones from 0.2.0 are provided.
    You should copy wlancfg-DEFAULT to wlancfg-SSID
and change it appropriately
    to match your WAP. The documentation that comes
with the source code is
    provided in the kernel-wlan-ng base RPM. Don't
forget to check out the
    mailing list for additional help. And for crying
out loud, secure your
    Wireless setup...don't be an easy target for
crackers!

-> Verify that the correct configuration line was
placed in the
    /etc/modules.conf file. This should have been
done automatically when the
    RPM was installed, but check it to make sure! For
example, for PCMCIA
    cards, the line should be 'alias wlan0 prism2_cs'.

(Try rebooting, or at least restarting networking or
something with "service network restart"). If I were
an inexperienced admin on a noncritical machine, I'd
just reboot it.

I hope this helps.

Randy

=====