Re: [Nolug] Windows servers and nmap

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:40:40 -0500

On Monday 31 May 2004 3:31 pm, Wimprine, Thomas spake:
> I ran nmap against my entire network, and I need to locate servers that
> people have forgotten about. Does anyone know of a way I can grep this log
> file to return what I want. (System name and IP address) for only servers
> and not windows clients.
> Any help or suggestions would be great, otherwise I need to deal with a few
> hundred results.
> Thanks

Tom,

This might help you, or it might not...

nmap -O can't distinguish between workstation or server OSs (at least nothing
jumps out at me when I scan a Win2k Server box I have here). Also, there is
no difference between a "client" and a "server" running NBT... if is shares a
printer or directory, it's a server, even though it's only running Win95.

I did a little digging in my Using Samba, 2nd Edition book, and you might have
success running "nbtstat -a $HOST" (a windows command, not a samba command).
Please back-check me, but as I understand it, you might get lucky looking at
the "resource type".

I don't know anything about your network, nor what qualifies as a "server",
but perhaps some of the samba commands such as smbclient might shed light on
what's out there in terms of shares, etc.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL