[Nolug] email SSL certs

From: Simon Dorfman <EmailLists_at_SimonDorfman.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:32:36 -0500

Hi all,
Any openssl experts in the house? Hereıs the scenario:

With the help of this hint:
How to import SSL POP3 Certificates
(http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040621180245503)
... I can finally check my simondorfman.com email without having to click
okay to the scary cert warnings every time. I ran this command to get the
cert:
$ openssl s_client -connect mail.simondorfman.com:995 >
uranus.dnswild.com.pop3.crt < /dev/null

The certificate retrieved with this method only works for POP3 connections.
When I try to make a SMTP connection, it gives a scary warning about the
cert. To fix this, I ran the same command, but replaced the 995 with 465.
Like this:
$ openssl s_client -connect mail.simondorfman.com:465 >
uranus.dnswild.com.smtp.crt < /dev/null

However, the certificate retrieved with this command only works with SMTP!
Keychain (Mac OSXıs tool for managing certs) wonıt let me install both at
the same time because it claims that one is already installed. Windows wont
let me install both certs at once either. I assume itıs because they both
have the same Common Name: uranus.dnswild.com

Any idea how I could get one cert that will work with both POP3 and SMTP?
Or is there a way to merge the two certs? Or is there a way to install them
both at once? Extensive googling isnıt helping. Maybe I donıt know what to
search for...
Many thanks for any help!
Simon