Re: [Nolug] file upload problems w/ PHP

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:21:02 -0500

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 5:27 pm, krunk spake:
> I'm relatively new to apache. But could it be that they the apache user
> (or the uid that apache runs under) does not have write permissions to
> the directory?

This sounds like your PHP application is broken somehow, permissions-wise. All
you have to do is "chmod -R o+rw /path/to/the/application/upload/directory/",
and that should fix it.

What does the command do? It sets read and write permissions for "others". You
are the owner "u", your group members are "g", and everyone else is "o".
Since apache has its own username and its own group, changing permissions for
"others" affects apache's access.

If you wanted more security, you could change the ownership of the directory
to the apache user and group. If this is your box, and you *trust* everyone
that has an account on it, simply setting permissions on the directory is
probably adequate.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL