Re: [Nolug] redhat upgrade for web server

From: Stickman <hendricks_clan_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:59:32 -0500

As a user of both Redhat 8/9 and currently SuSE Pro 9.0, I only have one gripe
with SuSE. It doesn't store programs (like Gnome and KDE, Open Office) in
"RedHat" places. Just about everything goes in the /opt/ directory, which
leads to interesting RPM installation. If you hit an SuSE apt-get repository,
you can get fairly current versions of RPMs, but don't expect anybody to just
have SuSE9 packages lying around. If you're looking for something off the
beaten path, chances are you're gonna have to compile it from source.

BTW, I love verything else about it, pretty much. Works as advertised, comes
with veritable buttloads of software, has a great interface and realy nice
hardware detection. (Fedora Core for some reason wouldn't detect my sound
chip... go figure.)

-Jeff Hendricks
Spreading Free Software, one stubborn mind at a time.