Re: [Nolug] Combining Grep and tail -f

From: Dave Cash <dave_at_gnofn.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 13:04:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Petri Laihonen wrote:

> Does anybody know how I could combine grep and tail -f.
>
> As you all probably know "tail -f /var/log/httpd/access_log" gives nice
> realtime viev for what is happening with your website(s)
>
> However, how would one weed out all the extra lines when the information
> from only one virtual host or specific file is needed?
> For example 'tail -f /var/log/httpd/access_log | grep -i "mydomain.tld"',
> would not give any results and if you reverse grep and tail, then only
> tail is effective.
>
> Any suggestions?

Petri,

I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish, but if I read your
question correctly, I think you've already solved your problem with
the

  tail -f /var/log/httpd/access_log | grep -i "mydomain.tld"

you included above. This will indeed produce a live, continually
updated tail of the file, but only display matches to the grep
pattern. I not sure what you means when you said it "would not give
any results." I use that very combination of tools frequently and
it always gives me exactly the output I expect.

HTH,

Dave

Dave Cash Power to the People!
Frolicking in Fields of Garlic Right On-Line!
dave@gnofn.org Dig it all.