[Nolug] mount fd0

From: Jay Latham <jlat_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:09:12 -0500

First let me preface this question by saying I don't normally use floppy
disks except when making a rescue disk during an install.

I'm running Slackware 10 with the reiserfs. This morning I was messing
around and decided to format some floppys that had been previously
formatted for dos, to ext2. I used the floppy format tool in kde.

When I tried to mount fd0 I got a msg to specify the filesystem type. So
I ran the following:
'mount -t ext2 /mnt/floppy'
I got the help file which basicly said I needed to specify the
filesystem type. I then ran this:
'mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0' and got the same help file. Here's what's in my
fstab.
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user,nohide,rw
0 0

I then reformatted the disk to vfat and it mounted perfectly.

My question is why won't a floppy formatted to a linux filesystem mount
and dos will?

Thanks,

Jay