Re: [Nolug] application/x-java-vm plugin

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:11:00 -0500

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 11:35 -0500, John D. Tiedeman wrote:
> Brad Bendily wrote:
>
> >>When entering certain websites, I get the message " . . . contains
> >>information of type application/x-java/vm . . ." I am then given the
> >>opportunity to download the Linux plug-in. It apparently downloads and
> >>installs, but it never takes effect and I have tried downloading it many
> >>times (no more than once a day). I can't find any files it may have
> >>installed. What's going on?
> >>

> >What browser are you using?
> >
> >You need to check that you have java enabled in your browser,
> >and you need to check where the path to java in your browser is
> >set to. Do you have java working at your command line? If so
> >then it should be simple to get it working in the browser.
> >
> >Also, sometimes I've run across a java applet that is old and
> >doesn't like to work on newer versions of java. That could be the
> >case as well.
> >

> I am using Firefox. Java is enabled, or at least entering some Java
> commands without parameters bring up a message to enter with --help,
> which yields a listing.
>
> I have found that libjavaplugin_oji.so is present in the same directory
> as the flash plugin, which appears to be working at present. Does that
> mean I don't need to add it to my path? If I do need to add it, do you
> mean the one accessed by $PATH or something else? I don't know how to
> get to one that's just for the browser.

Do you see Java mentioned when you put about:plugins in the
address bar?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B
Some former UNSCOM officials are alarmed, however. Terry Taylor,
a British senior UNSCOM inspector from 1993 to 1997, says the
figure of 95 percent disarmament is "complete nonsense because
inspectors never learned what 100 percent was. UNSCOM found a
great deal and destroyed a great deal, but we knew [Iraq's] work
was continuing while we were there, and I'm sure it continues,"
says Mr. Taylor, now head of the Washington
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0829/p01s03-wosc.html