Re: [Nolug] configuring grub for a second hard drive

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:41:50 -0400

(CCing nolug so this will be in the archives and, hopefully, able to
help others.)

"John D. Tiedeman" <jdtiede@sstar.com> writes:

> W2K came up on the boot menu, but when I tried to boot it I got "NTLDR
> not found" or words to that effect. Had to use boot disc to get back
> into Linux and eedit. I changed hd,1to hd1,1 and got "no such
> partition." So I went o back to hd1,0, and deleted the +1 from
> chainloader and got "Filename just be either an absolute pathname or
> blocklist." I must need something to tell it where to look for NTLDR.

Let me guess.... the disk was originally the "C" drive, right?

I'm gonna bet that you'll need to put the drive as the primary
master to get it to work.

Once you have that working, you can try installing grub on the mbr.
Grub will need to be told that the configuration information is on
your second drive.

Also You'll have to fix your /etc/fstab under Fedora so it looks at
/dev/hdc* (secondary master) instead of /dev/hda*.

HTH,

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.