Re: [Nolug] Using ssmtp to feed emails to my ISP

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:23:01 -0500

Ron Johnson wrote:

> After I reconfigured postfix, when I was setting my MUA to use
> "sendmail" instead, it occurred to me, "how will smtp.east.cox.net
> know that it's ron.l.johnson, and not me@haggis that's sending the
> email?"

smtp.east.cox.net doesn't care about your username. As far as I know,
Cox doesn't use SMTP AUTH for customer relay. As long as it's coming
from a cox-owned, cable-modem attached CPE IP address, smtp.east.cox.net
will relay you. If you're talking about setting your From line, that's
stricly an MUA function and is not important for sending mail out.

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"