Re: [Nolug] Fwd: Next advanced meeting - VMware - Sep 8'th, 2004

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:05:39 -0500

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 2:25 pm, Ron Johnson spake:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 13:53 -0500, Wimprine, Thomas wrote:
> > ESX server and my guest OSs range from Linux/BSD to various Win*
>
> So ESX itself is the host "OS"?

By way of explanation, VMware and other emulation machines like it run on some
operating system, and present a "virtual machine", or an environment that
looks like a PC or some other computer. It's HARDWARE, simulated in SOFTWARE.
You then load a second operating system on your computer, running inside the
simulated hardware. The real hardware runs the HOST OS, and whatever you run
inside the VM is the GUEST OS.

I ran a very old copy of VMware long ago, but recently I've played with Bochs
(http://bochs.sourceforge.net/). Bochs is dog-slow and is mainly good for
testing stuff. You wouldn't want to do any production work, on account of the
speed issues. An example of this is the fact that you can emulate, on your
beat-up old PII, an Athlon 64-bit PC, and run 64-bit operating systems inside
of that.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL