Re: [Nolug] Circles and squares

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:21:34 -0500

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 17:06 -0500, Alex McKenzie wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

> >>Yes, as described by the circumscribed square.
> >

> > It's been a *long* time since I took a math course. Doesn't a
> > circumscribed square (who's sides are length 1) define a unit
> > circle?
> >

> A unit circle is defined by a series of points equidistant from a center
> point, where that distance is one. You can circumscribe a square onto
> that if you like. This makes the circle inscribed.

So a circle *circumscribed* (as opposed to inscribed) around the
unit square would have a radius of sqrt(2)?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B
"There is no shadow of protection to be had by sheltering behind
the slender stockades of visionary speculation, or by hiding
behind the wagon-wheels of pacific theories."
Madame Chiang Kai-Shek