Re: [Nolug] media players

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:00:31 -0400

"Petri Laihonen" <pietu@weblizards.net> writes:

> I've now tried few players, and none of them seem to be able to play most
> of my .avi and .mpg files. In the end, any player should be able to play
> any files as long as there is a codec available for the video format.

If I'm not mistaken, xine, mplayer, and vlc are all able to use
Windows DLLs to play codecs that aren't publicly available. For
instance, the w32codecs is a Debian package with the following

 This package contain video codecs for libaviplay.

  ATI VCR-2 video codec.
  Cinepak video codec
  DivX ;-) video codec, ver. 3.11
  DivX ;-) video codec, ver. 4.x
  Indeo Video 3.2/4.1/5.0/4.1 quick/5.0 quick codecs.
  Intel 263 video codec.
  Microsoft MPEG-4 video codec, beta version 3.0.0.2700
  Morgan Multimedia Motion JPEG video codec.
  QuickTime
  RealAudio
  RealVideo 8
  RealVideo 9
  Windows Media Video 9

 And more...

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.