[Nolug] um... i switched to debian

From: Manuel Lora <vanguardist_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:59:31 -0500

There. I said it.

I have no hard feelings towards Gentoo and I still consider a pretty
good distro for those who like total control on dependencies. But the
reason why I chose to switch to debian was speed. I suspect that using
-O3 as a gcc optimization for the entire system is not the best option.
It has been suggested that -O2 is better. Indeed, I did some research
and that seems to be the case. This time around, however, I did not want
to wait a week to get a system ready. So I installed Debian on a spare
drive and did a test spin for two days. It was great. All the
applications ran faster than on my Gentoo system. Yesterday I wiped
Gentoo and reinstalled Debian on the main drive.
Debian's default Gnome desktop is excellent.

I expect to stay with Debian for a long while. I won't particularly miss
Gentoo and I suspect that the compiling issues will become more apparent
as more people start to use it. There needs to be a lot more testing
done about compiler options, but for the time being, I want my computer
to work quickly.

m00