Re: [Nolug] Cox Connection Dropping - Packet Loss Topic

From: Brad Bendily <brad_at_selu.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:32:45 -0500 (CDT)

> Not sure how this is relevant to linux anymore except the discussion of
> network analysis tools common to our environment of choice. I encourage
> folks to explore traceroute, fping, hping, and mtr.

There is also a cool traceroute program called tcptraceroute, which will
let you easily blow through any firewall because most firewalls will
allow port 80 in and out.

It probably has a few drawbacks, like overhead, but at least you
will know if your destination is up or down and what the path looks
like in between.

BB