Re: [Nolug] 64-bit athlon?

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:13:34 -0500

On Friday 22 October 2004 7:50 pm, E. Strade, B.D. spake:
> 64 bit offers no performance increases for most applications. It simply
> allows more memory addresses - nothing more. I would save you money
> unless you need the extra address space.
>
> Brett

Um, what? 32-bit-computing means that you are processing things in parallel,
32 at a time, unless I'm terribly wrong about this. Yes, 32-bit leaves you
with only 4GB of addressable RAM, but you've got 32 registers working in
parallel. Moving to 64-bit is vastly faster than staying with 32-bit.

Or I'm totally in the dark, and someone needs to hit me with a cluestick :-/

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL