Re: [Nolug] Repair/recover hard disc

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:53:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, John Tiedeman wrote:

> I got a new HD (2001 model IBM Deskstar 20G in original sealed pack) for
> about $30 and installed FC2 from a DVD. Works file. Have designated it as
> master, old 80G that won't boot (FC1) as slave, but don't know how to gain
> access to old data or to MBR for possible repair. Does the fact that both
> discs have the same entry point names cause a complication? Should I have
> tried to install the new one using unconventional entry point names?

Not sure what you mean by "entry point names". If the old drive is indeed
the slave drive, then it should be /dev/hdb. Run 'fdisk /dev/hdb', 'p' to
print the partition table, 'q' to quit. If fdisk runs you should be able
to see all the partition on the old drive. Then determine which one
contains your data (probably based on the size), and mount it with
'mount /dev/hdbX /mnt', where X is the partition number.

ray