Re: [Nolug] permissions in apache

From: Jonathan Schwehm <jonathan_at_figstreet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:03:30 -0500

You definately need the correct permissions to be able to view the site.
  Open a terminal window, cd to the proper directory (ie
/srv/www/htdocs/egroupware) and execute this:

chmod -R 755 *

That'll change all permissions to files in that directory and child
directory to rwxr-xr-w and you'll be able to view the site through your
webserver.

And if apache is running under a certain account, or if you'd like to be
able to edit the site without having to login as root, change the user
and/or group ownership of the pages as well.

As far as setting your user permissions to run as root, it kinda depends
on what you want to do. Sometimes it's easy to change your group to the
same as root's to take care of a lot of issues with being able to edit
certain files (if the permissions are correct). Or you can add yourself
to the 'sudoers' file (with no password requirement) so you can use sudo
to run any command.

Jonathan