Re: [Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY TWO

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 14:31:54 -0600

Jeremy (mailing list box) wrote:

> Back in the early, early days of SMP with Pentium Pros and the early
> PIIs, yes you did have to match your CPUs by their "stepping." And if
> you were adding a CPU several months after the original, it was often
> difficult to match. Having a different stepping on your processor was
> hit or miss as to whether it worked or not, so you strived to have the
> same stepping...

This is slightly OT, but I'm definitely working with an early P2-333
here. It's a SL2S5, with a (per Intel) stepping of "dA1," whatever that
means. I don't know if that qualifies as "early, early" or not. I know I
will be able to find a second proc down the line. Hello, eBay.

> The one requirement that still remains, however, is that your CPUs need
> to all have the same speed to get the maximum performance. If you
> don't match them, the system ends up running the faster processor at the
> speed of the slower processor...

Great, I can fry an egg on the overclocked proc.

MDK