Re: [Nolug] Machine naming themes

From: Kevin Kreamer <kevin_at_kreamer.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:49:22 -0600

Mischa Krilov wrote:
> In my current saga, I started wondering what other folks named their
> sets of machines. I found a site that looks like it uses Wikipedia under
> the hood.
>
> http://www.namingschemes.com/
>
> My jobs have used boring names in the past: mail1, file1, ns1. At home,
> I try for memorable and at least tangentally related to the box's
> function. My Windows games machine is sandbox, my new dual-proc server
> is stevemartin (The Man with Two Brains), Cat named her machine after a
> character from a Stephen King story.
>
> Anybody have any good stories to tell?

My home computers are named after towns in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time
series (yes, I am that geeky, apparently).

I was involved when a previous employer (a university) decided to decide
on a naming scheme. The ideas considered included names of rivers,
names of trees, and the names of Roman/Greek mythology characters. We
finally went with the mythology.

Other naming schemes I've been involved with included names of beer, and
names of philosophers/thinkers.

In all the cases, the requirements were to not use the function of the
machine (it sucks when what was your ns becomes your web server instead,
but is still called ns), that the range of names be big enough to handle
the number of machines around, that the names be relatively short and
easy to spel, and that they be memorable enough to use on a daily basis.

Kevin