Re: [Nolug] Machine naming themes

From: Michael <mogmios_at_mlug.missouri.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:22:39 -0800

> My jobs have used boring names in the past: mail1, file1, ns1. At
> home, I try for memorable and at least tangentally related to the
> box's function. My Windows games machine is sandbox, my new dual-proc
> server is stevemartin (The Man with Two Brains), Cat named her machine
> after a character from a Stephen King story.

I usually name my machine something I relate to the personality of the
machine. I've gone so far as to paint the machines the right color to
match the name (in the case of machines named after Power Puff Girl
characters) and creating a custom boot selection screen that features
something related to the name. That is the permanent name of the
machine. Then I point task-related names at the machines for as long as
that machine is performing that task. If the task changes to a different
machine I point that name to the new machine but leave the permanent
name pointed to the same physical machine.

Jennifer (another NOLUG member) has a laptop that she named Jykll and
Hyde for it's dual-boot between Linux and Windows. I made a pretty cool
boot screen for that that seems to draw attention sometimes when she
boots the laptop in public.

--
Michael <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
http://kavlon.org