[Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY SEVEN

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:57:31 -0600

The story so far:

Qmail:
A very weary nearly done success! I went through the installation guide
at www.qmailrocks.com and now have a (mostly) working mail server. I've
successfully sent mail out from my server! I can telnet into it on port
110, so we're looking good.

The major gotcha I ran into involved reverse DNS failing. Basically,
every service kept trying to do reverse lookups on my LAN (I think)
resulting in long delays- ssh would take about a minute to connect,
telnet localhost 110 took upwards of three minutes, etc. Any nslookup
command was very responsive, so I was beating my head against it for a
while. I suspect this is somehow related to my DSL modem/router setup,
but am not sure. I wound up dropping a third-party DNS into my
/etc/resolv.conf, and everything was happy.

Next major gotcha was Earthlink blocking port 25, both incoming and
outgoing. This was surprisingly easy. I created a file
/var/qmail/control/smtproutes containing :smtp.earthlink.net and all was
good to go. I originally thought this was failing and was working on
SMTP-auth, but it came down to the above DNS issue.

I suspect I will need a workaround for this restriction in the immediate
future.

Existing email accounts:
 From what I can tell, offlineimap will sync imap folders between two
servers. A little more elegant than creating two accounts in a mail
client and dragging the messages between folder hierarchies.

This is it, the last day. I'm going to point the DNS to my IP in the
next few hours. If anyone has any final thoughts, suggestions, kudos, or
warnings, I'd love to hear 'em.

MDK