Re: [Nolug] Disc problems--continued

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:49:10 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, John Tiedeman wrote:

> Both of the hds I can currently use (one Fedora 2, one w2k) are somewhat
> crippled. I can't mount the CD drive or the CD/DVD burner. I have checked my
> fstab entries and they agree with those in RH Linux 9 Bible (except that the
> one for the burner says rw instead ro). Do I need to set up something
> anywhere else, such as /dev? If the latter, should it be an empty folder or
> an empty file?

Is it an IDE cdrom? Is it recognized by the BIOS? Is it on primary or
secondary IDE controller, and is it the master or slave device? Try all
your IDE devices...

mount /dev/hda /mnt
mount /dev/hdb /mnt
mount /dev/hdc /mnt
mount /dev/hdd /mnt

And see if anything mounts that looks like the cd.... or if your distro is
using scsi emulation, you might try

mount /dev/scd0 /mnt
mount /dev/scd1 /mnt

As far as /dev, the files should be there. But do type 'ls /dev/hd[abcd]'
and post the results here for comparison. It should look like:

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 0 Mar 19 2002 /dev/hda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 64 Mar 19 2002 /dev/hdb
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 Mar 19 2002 /dev/hdc
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 64 Mar 19 2002 /dev/hdd