Re: [Nolug] Which Linux is best?

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:25:56 -0600

On Friday 17 December 2004 5:04 pm, Chris Johnston spake:
> I am going to install Linux on an old machine that someone gave me (it
> now has Win 95) and give it to my brother for Christmas.

Something like SuSE, Mandrake, and other newbie-friendly distros are going to
be your best bet. However, out of your listed CDs, only the SuSE one is
anywhere near recent. DON'T install old software, as it needs patching and
lacks features. That said, you've got broadband and a CD burner, so getting
the latest Mandrake is possible for you.

Flip a coin... both are user-oriented distros, whereas something like
slackware or debian would be for administrator- or geek-types.

...but about that old hardware... SuSE and Mandrake may have a rough time if
the hardware's too old, and you don't have enough RAM (hint: get at least
128MB). Slack or debian will run faster on older hardware.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL