RE: [Nolug] Bad news for indie ISPS in the news...

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:59:41 -0600

Hi all.

> Does this really apply to Southern Star, since John is offering service
> through Bell South's facilities but with his own superior support?

Some of the facilities are mine and some are BellSouth's. Yes, it would
affect me and others in that BellSouth would no longer have to provide us an
option to use their facilities.

> In theory, this does apply to Southern Star and any other ISP that
> provides DSL service via line sharing.

Yes.

> Whether or not this applies to providers who lease dry pair is unknown,
> but it probably extends to them as well. In essence, all DSL providers,
> except for Bellsouth, would be affected.

It would affect dry pairs and just about everything that BellSouth is
currently "forced" to make available to other companies.

Considering that BellSouth still have a monopoly on the local wiring, many
feel that this much deregulation is a step too far.

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com