Re: [Nolug] I think my linux server has been infected???

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:09:28 -0600

On Wednesday February 16 2005 20:51, David Cox spake:
> Thanks Joey, I will look into it.My site is back up running on my YellowDog
> Linux. Damn Small Linux seems pretty cool,What do you think about Monkey
> Webserver??

Stick with apache.

DSL does look cool, but as of a few months ago, there wasn't a way to update
it, short of an upgrade to the latest version (if that even works, I'd ask
around).

> Still don,t know what happened to my Mepis Linux Server......???
>
> Is anti-virus a must have running Linux ? and also Firewall ( Gaurd Dog
> )???

Antivirus is a waste of time, if you're talking about scanning files on your
desktop linux box. There basically aren't any Linux viruses in the wild, and
probably won't be. If you keep your box patched and don't do anything stupid,
you're going to be relatively safe.

However, if you have windows boxes to protect, that's a different matter. I
scan all incoming mail for a few of my clients, for instance, giving them yet
another layer of malware protection for their pitiful windows PCs. </sarcasm>

> I am feeling much better today,that flu is some bad stuff !!

Yeah, my clients are pretty good docs ;-) Glad you're feeling better.

GPG key fingerprint = 8F11 D859 81A6 DE8C 5429  4A07 7146 1AFD 5C41 161E
"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL