Re: [Nolug] Cox Problem?

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:11:48 -0600

Brad Bendily wrote:
>>This is just out of curiosity because I had similar problems a while
>>back, but are you using wifi?
>

>>>The routers I see with the problem are 68.11.12.169, 68.11.14.14,
>>>68.11.14.18,
>>>and 68.11.12.82. Simply do a continuous ping to any of them with the
>>>interval
>>>set for 0.5 seconds and observe the periodic packet loss every 20 seconds
>>>or
>>>so.
>

> I use Cox in the Baton Rouge area (Walker). I haven't noticed any of
> these specific problems, but when I ping each of those addresses
> from my linux router I do notice packet loss. Any
> amount of packet loss is enough to cause problems.
> In my opinion even 1% packet loss is not acceptable.

It is highly likely those are cable interface addresses. It is also likely that
those addresses process icmp at a reduced priority (compared to forwarding
packets). ergo, packet loss from an ICMP ping may not be particularly
meaningful in this specific case.

http://www2.dslreports.com/faq/coxhsifaq/all#4313
http://members.cox.net/coxengr/dslr_help/dslrtool_tools.html

> BB

Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5