Re: [Nolug] Cox Problem?

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:38:45 -0600

John Souvestre wrote:

>Hello Jeremy.
>
>Yes, but this is the view from the outside in. Looking out, some Cox users
>report to me that they see a trail (vertical line) of ping loss which means
>that it is all most likely caused by the first router showing the loss.

Similar to the linked image below?:
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/783112~b42cadcd2b9eb05e7e2e2e04c8015764/proxy10.voicepulse.com.png

>Regardless, any Network Engineer worth his paycheck will tell you that 15%
>packet loss even at a given router is a red flag for sure!
>
>John

That depends... Packet loss at one router with no packet loss after
it to the destination means one of three possible things:

1. ICMP prioritization... (that's been discussed already)
2. High CPU load on the route processor... This usually isn't a
problem until you have packet loss to the destination host.
3. ICMP dropping... (done due to the recent worm problems)

I'll agree its a flag that something is up, but its not always a problem.