[Nolug] OT - MS SQL 7.0 Guru Needed

From: Helmut Ermlich <helmut_at_rodnreel.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:55:43 -0500

Hey Guys,
I know this is a little (well maybe a lot...) off topic for a Linux list but I need a some help. Since most of you probably wear a bunch of IT hats, I was hoping that one of you may be or know of someone who is a real MS SQL Server 7.0 Guru. This is a little over my head but might be obvious to someone that is well versed in MS SQL Server 7.0 and works with it every day.

I run a fishing and hunting website called RodnReel.com. It is totally dynamic and uses MS SQL 7.0 as the backend DB. For some reason the DB is periodically choking and I am getting timeouts on the webpages that make queries to the DB. This has been happening over the past 4 weeks or so and is happening more and more frequently. I talked to Joey earlier today and he even came by to take a quick look and try a couple of things. We couldn't pinpoint where the bottleneck is and I don't know enough about MS SQL to know what to check. I've run a few query duration traces on the system but every time it is run, I get a different group of queries that come up taking extremely long times to complete. Not sure which query is dragging the system down and making the rest slow. CPU utilization is running close to 100% on the SQL box and the Webserver (IIS5 on a separate box) is less than 10% when this happens. Unfortunately, I don't know what buttons to push or knobs to turn to get an accurate picture of what is causing the bottleneck. (I know, I know... switch to mySQL and Apache, but short of doing that) It may be that we are just getting hammered on the website and I just need to throw faster hardware at it. ???

Anyway, if any of you know of someone that really knows SQL and who might be willing to take a look at it (and maybe even get paid! ), please call me on my cell phone 504-858-3892. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Helmut