Re: [Nolug] Request for a Cox user...

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:37:25 -0500

Scott Harney wrote:
> Jeremy (mailing list box) wrote:
>
>>> 11 ashbbbpc01gex0200a100.r2.nv.cox.net (68.105.30.30) 21 ms 19 ms
>
> <...>
>
>> Physical distance wise, there's no way you should be seeing 20ms if
>> you go from NOLA, to Baton Rouge, to Dallas and then back east through
>> Ashburn... There should be a much greater difference between hop 10
>> and 11 if those routers are in the locations where they say they are
>> located and the packets are actually following that route.
>>

> That #11 hop is in nevada (nv.cox.net). the hostname portion doesn't
> refer to any city of ashburn on the east coast. Cox doesn't always seem
> to name things that way in the hostname. While
> mctydsrc01-gew03010999.rd.no.cox.net appears to refer to a Cox location
> in Mid City in New Orleans and btnrbbrc02-pos0102.rd.br.cox.net refers
> to Baton Rouge,lkhnbbrc02-pos0102.rd.at.cox.net for Atlanta looks kinda
> funny. Until you look at Cox's headquarters address and see it's on
> "Lake Hearn Drive" in Atlanta
> (http://www.cox.com/about/headquarters.asp). Everybody's got their own
> naming conventions and you really can't read that much regarding
> geography into it.

Hop 11 (nv.cox.net) refers to the Northern Virginia market (which
supposedly became dc.cox.net)... I know the nv.cox.net name very well
because I used to hang out in the Cox forum on DSLR and everyone with
nv.nv.cox.net was located in Virginia. The "ash" part of
"ashbbbpc01gex0200a100" refers to Ashburn, Virginia a major peering
point on the East Coast (IIRC, Mae East or another).

The hostnames for their Nevada market are lv.cox.net (Las Vegas).

The two letter portions of the hostname supposedly refer to market
names, not states. For example, oc.cox.net is Orange Country...
ph.cox.net is Phoenix, AZ... ok.cox.net is Oklahoma City...

Also, assuming that nv.cox.net is in Nevada... There should be more
than a 1 or 2 ms increase in latency between DFW and Nevada. Physics... :)

> incidentally, I get ~80ms RTT to your packet8 proxy addess on my cox
> connection that routes through Atlanta. Your traceroutes show ~60ms RTT
> going to the same location so you will lose a bit. The question is
> whether or not that difference would impact your packet8 VOIP service in
> a noticeable way. I've been using Vonage on Cox for some time without
> problem. I've also used Skype to call overseas and the quality was
> excellent.

I just wanted to see what latency I should expect... I'm guessing the
20ms difference won't matter that much in the general scheme of things,
but I was just curious to see if their routing had changed and what
expect. The route could be much, much worse and that's mainly what I
was checking for...

Jeremy