[Nolug] samba 101

From: Christopher M. Jones <cjones_at_partialflow.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:23:00 -0500

I'm trying to get samba running here at home. I have one Linux client,
and two w2k clients connected to a router. I've got samba configured
correctly enough that, in Gnome, Computer->Network->Windows
Network->domain and Computer->Network show the Linux client and the two
w2k machines. The problems I have are these:

1. I cannot browse the w2k machines' available shares as I can when I am
on one of the w2k machines. I have to know the share, e.g.,
machine/Shared Files, put it inot the location bar, and log into the
machine.

2. When I first bring up the contents of the share it takes a -long-
time to list.

3. I would rather not have to authenticate myself all the time from the
Linux client. I have an account on each of the w2k machines that matches
my account on the Linux client, and the w2k folder is shared to
everyone.

4. The only authentication the w2k machines will accept is the
Administrator's. I can't authenticate as any of the users on the w2k
machines.

Any suggestions for me? Ask me questions and I'll post more and relevant
details.

--
Christopher M. Jones <cjones@partialflow.com>