RE: [Nolug] Covad? [was: Area DSL providers]

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:08:20 -0600

Hi Joey.

I haven't had any direct dealings with Covad, but I've heard about them over
the years. They are the only nationwide independent DSL provider who
survived, even though they had to declare bankruptcy for a while. Their
coverage is far from complete. They concentrate on business areas. Their
reputation for speed and reliability is good.

There are lots of places who can provide you with T1s, by the way. Any of the
CLECs can, generally. Some of them (like Eatel) are pulling back due to
changes in the TelCom laws over the last year or so, however.

Many people like Madison River but I found them to be technically inept and
crooks in general. US LEC has a good reputation. I have a couple of PRIs
with them. New South (Nuvox now ?) is worth considering also. Xspedius tends
to have low prices, reasonable performance and poor support, from what I hear.
I nearly did business with them twice, but both times the tech guys said they
couldn't deliver what the sales dept sold me.

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com