Re: [Nolug] Wireless Broadband?

From: Dave Cash <dave_at_gnofn.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:26:10 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Edward Melendez wrote:

> I am working on a project to network a number of sites, some that will
> be mobile. Who is doing wireless broadband well in metro New Orleans?

Hi, Ed!

I hear from Kendra you are planted in Austin for the meantime. I
hope you, Cassie and the tyke are well.

As of about a month ago, BellSouth started to offer wireless
broadband in New Orleans. Unlike Superior Wireless, it doesn't
require line-of-sight. You just call them and they tell you if your
address is eligible. Mine (near the Fairgrounds in Mid-City) is.

The service is only price for small businesses right now, and I
think it's a bit pricey. It's $250 for the "modem" and then $69.95
a month. There's a 30-day trial period during which you can get a
refund for the modem, though you still have to pay for the month of
service. The service has (at the moment) no set-up fee and no
contract is required. How well they are providing this service I
don't know. I just heard about it yesterday.

The other thing I know about is Verizon's wireless broadband. You
buy an EVDO (or is it EDVO?) card for your laptop and then you can
get broadband speeds anywhere you go. I know a few people who are
using Verizon's wireless broadband and they all say it works well.
The cost is (I think) $59.95 a month for Verizon phone customers and
$79.95 a month for non-customers.

I've heard rumors that the anarchist collective Common Ground has
some plans to start building a free wi-fi net over the city, but as
of yet, I don't think that's happened. I'm sure more info could be
gleaned by visiting their HQ at Louisa and N. Robertson in the Ninth
Ward. Also, catch their pirate radio station if you can: 88.7 FM

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Dave

Dave Cash Power to the People!
Frolicking in Fields of Garlic Right On-Line!
dave@gnofn.org Dig it all.