Re: [Nolug] Fibre and telephone poles...

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:50:38 -0600

On Wednesday February 1 2006 08:30, listservs+Tech@mm.st spake:
> If it is line of sight, then why not set up 2 high speed wireless
> ap's/bridges? What type of bandwidth do you require b/w buildings?
>
> Brett

That's what we have now. There is a possibility that one of the bridges is
bad, and I have a replacement on order. One side (always the same unit, mind
you) has to be power-cycled at least every 2 days, and sometimes a few times
per day. Hopefully swapping out the unit will fix our problems.

However, we're looking at alternatives to either replace the wireless link or
provide an alternate path that routes packets when the wireless link fails.
I'm even considering getting a DSL or cable modem connection for the second
building and using a VPN through the Internet for a failover route, if that's
doable.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL